Thursday, May 24, 2007

Betty Dylan/Johnny Cash

From Coverfreak.com:

Johnny Cash Part Deux
As promised, this week we have various artists covering Johnny Cash songs.

Betty Dylan "Folsom Prison Blues"
I'm really digging Betty Dylan lately. I just love the part where he tells us what it was like to shoot a man in Reno.

Jawbone "Get Rhythm"
Johnny must have sounded like this when he was wired on that trucker speed. Guaranteed to get your blood flowing.

Beat Farmers "Big River"
The sound quality isn't the best, but what the heck. This is from Live At The Spring Valley Inn. The CD is drawn from live recordings intended for a demo to get a record deal.

I still miss Country Dick Montana. The man was fierce, fearless, and stinking drunk. I want to be like him when I grow up.

Pine Valley Cosmonauts "Sunday Morning Coming Down"
I recently gifted my audience with the Telly Savalas version of this song. This is what it sounds like when it's played well.

Neko Case "Wayfaring Stranger"
Update: Alert Reader John informs me that this recording is taken from Irene Trudel's WMFU show.

I don't like Neko Case. Not personally, of course. I'm sure she's a very nice person. But her music does absolutely nothing for me. People tell me I'm supposed to like her. I've tried to like her. I want to like her. I've bought her music and paid to hear her perform live. But her music leaves me completely cold.

This is the only thing she's ever done that I've enjoyed. I think it's because of Jon Rauhouse's banjo playing. The arrangement is very spare and lovely. It sounds like it was recorded for a radio show, but I have no information on where it came from.
Posted on Sun, May 13, 2007 at 8:50 AM

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home